Etsy

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Waffle Weave With Two Heddles

A true waffle weave is difficult to achieve on a rigid heddle loom. Using one heddle and a pickup stick, you can achieve something very close. I've been wondering how to do waffle weave with a finer sett using two heddles. Here is what I came up with. 

I direct warped my 15" Flip Loom for two heddles using 4 ends of 8/4 cotton per slot. I threaded the heddles as usual for two heddle weaving. 

Now for the pickup stick. Put both heddles in the down position. Pickup every other thread and slide the stick to the back of the loom. 

The weaving sequence is:
1. Up (Both heddles)
2. Neutral & pickup stick on edge 
3. Up (Both heddles)
4. Down (Both heddles)
5. Up & slide pickup stick
6. Down (Both heddles)


Here is the result....



The weft floats are more narrow than with with a single heddle, but the weave still produces cells. 

After a quick trip to the sewing machine, it was into to washer and dryer. 

I steam pressed the towel and, Ta-da!!!!



The cut cotton at the ends fluffed nicely.

I also made two other towels from this warp....

Happy Weaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment