Etsy

Monday, June 8, 2015

Doubleweave Rug on a Rigid Heddle Loom

I'm going to attempt a rug. I made a rug using the Cricket loom last year. I used t-shirt yarn for the warp and weft because I didn't know better at that point. The rug came out ok, but my weaving was plagued with tension issues and its a miracle that I even ended up with a rug. 

I hope to correct my past mistakes with this new project while incorporating my newfound obsession with doubleweave. 

I am using a 15" flip loom and two 8 dent heddles. For my warp I am using Caron Simply Soft in a teal color .Oops, ran out of light teal, finished warp in darker blue. As you'll see, the warp color really doesn't matter unless you want to hem stitch. I bought a huge ball of teal and brown bulky yarn a few months ago. Initially it was going to be used by my daughters for arm knitting, but I've taken it back and it will now be a rug. 

My thought is that if I thread both of my 8 dent heddles with the thinner yarn, I can use the double width technique to make a rug that will be about 30 inches wide and weftfaced, given the large size of the weft yarn. 

To thread two heddles :
Direct Warp Method
1. Warp onto your warping peg the way you normally would for single heddle, except you will pull two loops of yarn through each slot. Cut end of warp from warping peg, knot warp and wind on back beam.
2. Take one thread from each slot and thread it in the hole to the right. You should have 3 threads in each slot and 1 in each hole. Insert Heddle 2.
As you can see, there is one thread in the hole and 3 in the slot.
3. Take the thread going through the hole in the rear heddle and put it in the corresponding slot in the front heddle.
The rear hole thread is now through a slot in the front heddle.
4. Take the 3 threads from the next slot on the right and sley one thread in the same slot as the hole thread.
5. Sley one thread through the next hole
6. Sley last thread through next slot on right. 
Repeat steps 3-6 across your warp. 



I wove about 1 1/2 inches of plain weave (both heddles up, both heddles down). Then I added my two pickup sticks. 

Pickup Pattern
Place both heddles in down position. Pickup every other thread, then slide stick to the back of the loom. Place both heddles in up position. Slide the 1st pickup stick to the rear of the heddles and turn on edge. Take your 2nd pickup stick and insert it into the new shed.

Then I began the double width pattern. 

Double width pattern

1. Stick 1(both heddles in neutral, stick turned on edge)
2. Heddle 2 up
3. Stick 2 (both heddles in neutral, stick turned on edge)
4. Heddle 1 down

I did a few rows of pattern in a waste yarn. Since I have a warp I'd like to hide, I can't hem stitch the rug. If I add a few waste rows at the beginning and end of the rug, sewing nice edges on the machine should be easier......I hope




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, I will now try and make a double width rug using double heddles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello double heddle weaving is also an obsession for me because I don t obtain a good work on low face I don t know how to solve this problem

    ReplyDelete