Etsy

Friday, June 20, 2014

Making Rope Out Of Tree Bark

Video Added 6/23

Lets rewind back to February. During one of several storms that blanketed us with snow and ice, several huge trees came down on our property. I thought that it was such a shame that all I knew how to do with all those trees was to chop them up into firewood.





Now fast forward to May. I went on a field trip with my daughter to The Churchville Nature Center to learn about the Lenape Indians and their way of life pre-contact. The kids learned how to make a fire and grow vegetables. Then we were taught how to make cordage. My mind was blown. It was so simple. I just couldn't believe that I had not learned this skill before. At the nature center, we used raffia to make our cordage. I thought that this could be a great use for my fallen trees. 

My daughter and I headed straight int the woods after school that day. After a bit of looking, I found the tree I was searching for. It is the Tulip Tree. It has a unique bark that peels off into fibrous strips. 




Here is a picture of both the outside of the bark and the inside. 

The bark is very dry and needs to be soaked. 

To make the cordage, you will need one length of bark. You then fold the bark in half. You will need somewhere to secure the end of your cordage. I use a garden spike to demonstrate. Think of the bark as one piece of yarn; I will call the pieces strands. Take one piece of the bark in each hand and then cross the strand from the right over the left. Now place that strand in your left hand and with the strand in your right hand, begin twisting the bark between your fingers clockwise. Now cross that strand from right to left over the other strand. Place the twisted strand in your left hand and begin twisting the other strand as indicated above. 



Here is a short video. My 9 year old was behind the camera :)


Pretty soon, you will have cordage or rope that looks like this!


You can add pieces of bark to your cordage to make it any length.


So, what do you do with it? You can make an arbor with fallen wood and secure it with your handmade rope. 

Or, you can use it in your garden, like this….

The possibilities are endless. This technique could also be used with yarn to make a custom piping/cordage for a crocheted or knitted piece. A wonderful feature of this rope is that it does not unravel or fray when cut. 

There is something very satisfying about learning an ancient skill. It not only gives you some insight to the way our ancestors lived thousands of years ago, but shows you how those skills can still find a place in modern times. Give it a try!



No comments:

Post a Comment