Etsy

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Adventures in Overshot - Take 1

I have always admired overshot weaving. Growing up in Bucks County, PA, a place rich with Colonial history, you can see fabulous examples of overshot all over the place. 

My 4 shaft loom was de-accessioned from the Holcombe/Jimison Farmstead Museum in Lambertville, NJ. I promised them that I would make them a period correct woven piece to go in the ca. 1750's home in the property. Overshot is the obvious choice. The only caveat.....I've never woven overshot before. 

Always one to bite off more than I can chew, I found an overshot pattern by John Landes, a weaver of the late 18th century. I can do this, I told myself. 

Here is the original pattern:

I decided that, before tackling this 18th century challenge, I would thread a sample piece to experiment with overshot.

I am using an Orange Peel overshot pattern.


This piece will have 3/2 black pearl cotton as warp and tabby weft. I am going to use Kauni wool as pattern weft. I also have some Pima cotton for pattern weft. I am interested to see how the different colors will interact with the black.

I think I am starting to understand this block weaving thing. I had 4 extra threads when I got to the center of the loom and I knew I had counted my threads and dents very carefully. I instantly thought, I must've skipped a block. So now I'm thinking in overshot 😉

Well, I'm 1/2 done with the threading and now I remember why I haven't done a black warp in a while. Aaaahhhhhh!

Happy Weaving!


No comments:

Post a Comment