Etsy

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Weaving With Sock Yarn - 2 projects

Here are the results of my latest weaving experiment; using a plain wool warp with variegated and self striping wool sock yarns as weft

I used what was left of a cone of Nature Spun Fingering wool (2800 ypp) in natural for my warp. I threaded at 15 epi. When I last wove with this wool, I used a set of 20 epi. The fabric was gorgeous, but I wanted to open the sett a bit. For weft, I have a ball of Kauni 8/2 wool and for another variation, I used Done Roving's Frolicking Feet "Apple Pickin".

I threaded in a rosepath (4,3,2,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,4,3,2,1...,). For the Kauni yarn I wove "tromp as writ" according to the threading. 

Here is the Kauni yarn weft...


I love love love this yarn! The colors are amazing and it finishes up so soft. Just gorgeous.

Now onto the Frolicking Feet. This was so much fun. I wove again in rose path. The results were awesome. 


When I got to the 3rd color change in the yarn, I changed the treadling.

I finished with the rosepath and then some plain weave. 

Here are the finished products.....
The Kauni yarn is now a beautiful table runner. It is for sale in my Etsy shop at: www.etsy.com/shop/LSGCrafts

Here is the Frolicking Feet yarn made into an infinity scarf. I love it! It is so soft and warm. 



A word of warning about the Frolicking Feet yarn. The last bit of this yarn was white and yellow. As soon as I put the scarf in hot water, the water turned red. I rinsed and rinsed, but the white became a peachy color. Actually, I am happy with the result because I think the white & yellow were too much of a contrast with the other colors, but be forewarned: This yarn bleeds!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment