Etsy

Friday, September 30, 2016

8 Shaft Pinwheels

One of the 1st drafts I saw when I started weaving was a pinwheel draft. I've always wanted to try this weave and I had a bunch of 6/2 cotton to go through, so pinwheels it was. 

This was a bit tricky for me because I have a 10 dent reed. The closest I could get to 16 epi with a 10 dent reed was 17epi. Sleying the reed was quite interesting since I had to count out the sleying and keep track of the 8 thread stripes at the same time. That being said, the threading was easy because it was a straight draw 1-8 with an 8 thread stripe.




My next challenge quickly presented itself as I tried to decide how to handle the color change. I wanted to maintain a mostly purple selvedge so I decided to cut and tuck the grey weft while carrying the purple. 

 The sett was open just enough that the excess grey weft did not cause a buildup on the left selvedge. Once I got into a rhythm, the cutting and tucking went fast.

I decided to change the tie up for the 2nd scarf .....


Finally, I had some extra warp and decided to play around a bit.....


Now for the wet finishing!


Happy Weaving!




No comments:

Post a Comment