Etsy

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Adventures in Overshot - Take 2

My last post, Adventures in Overshot-take 1, was started last month when this idea was in its infancy. When I posted it yesterday, it was dated 11/1 so you may need to go back to see what I'm talking about. Anyway, when I left off, I was 1/2 way through threading. I've since woven a piece that came off the loom at 17" x 45". Pretty good for a 1st real attempt at overshot, but far from perfect. 


I had to beat so hard that I moved the loom halfway across the room and it still wasn't square. My beat was also not even. After a trip to the yarn store to get some input (Twist Knitting & Spinning in Lahaska, PA) we deduced that my sett was way too tight at 15 epi. I re-sleyed the warp at 10 epi. 


That added about 7 inches in width. I'm still using a firm beat, but not nearly as hard as before. 

I realized, while weaving the 1st piece, that I had a missing thread. Before I re-sleyed the reed, I added a string heddle and the missing warp thread. 

It's looking nice and even. I'm now using Cascade 220 as pattern weft. It looks good now so I'm hoping that wet finishing will full the wool a bit and then it will look great! 


I'm always one to see how many completely different pieces I can get off one warp so this afternoon I'm going to finish off the warp in Monk's belt. 

Happy Weaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment