Etsy

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Blooming Leaf Overshot Variations

I made a sample a few weeks ago of a fabric that I loved!! Until I looked underneath and saw the huge floats. It is overshot but this version is called Petit Point. As the name suggests, the pattern is formed by small "points" of color with no floats on the front of the fabric. The front of the fabric was dense and very stable so I knew immediately that this fabric would not make a good scarf but would be excellent for upholstery or pillows. 

Here is my sample done in black 3/2 cotton with Cascade 220 as pattern weft. The petit point sample in on the bottom.

I wanted to use the Blooming Leaf pattern for pillows but the one that I found, by Madelyn van der Hoogt, had 323 ends which is way too wide. Since I'm using 3/2 cotton as warp sett at 10 epi, I reduced the draft to 159 ends. 

I got 1/2 way through the threading and realized that I made a mistake. Grrrrrr! Well, here is pillow #1 using Tangier by Cascade as pattern weft....


I like the petit point, but the gorgeous color of the yarn got too muted in my opinion. It also weaves a bit more rectangular than square. 

Next up, traditional blooming leaf in star fashion using, of course, Kauni yarn as pattern weft 😉......


I hope this wet finishes well because it is stunning! The floats are very long so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

I couldn't decide what colors to use next. Then I thought of a picture I took early this morning.....


I grabbed a rainbow skein of the Kauni and voila, a blooming leaf inspired by spring.....


Happy Weaving & Happy Spring!

The draft and treadlings that I used were adapted from Madelyn van der Hoogt's e-booklet; Overshot Weaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment