Etsy

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Homemade Sourdough Bread


Before I was a weaver, I was a baker. I've been baking for as long as I can remember. I watched my grandma carefully and I'm so happy that I did. Though she's been gone for almost 7 years now, whenever I make one of her recipes, it's just like I'm standing next to her in the kitchen. There wasn't anything that she couldn't make. Well, there is one thing. She never made bread.

Though making bread is baking, I consider it a completely different art. With most baking, ie. cookies, pies, cakes, etc., you use baking soda or baking powder or both as leavening agents. The results are fairly predictable and can be reproduced easily with consistency. Bread, on the other hand, is completely different. Yeast, an essential component of bread, is alive. It will react differently to humidity, temperature and a slew of other variables. I've tried making bread a few times over the years with relatively little success. 

I did find a good, dependable recipe for a challah type bread a few years back. I made one last week and it was fabulous! Feeling empowered by my success, I wanted to try something different. I was doing a little reading and found a recipe for a sourdough starter. When I saw how easy it was, I decided that this would be a good project for both my kids and myself. 

For the link to the instructions that I used, click here.


This is the starter


I didn't take pictures of the starter on day 1 or 2, but here is how it looks on days 3 - 5......


Here is the yeast dissolving in water and the next picture is the same mixture with the starter added as well.


Here is what is referred to as a "shaggy mess" in the recipe......


When the dough came together, I put it in a warm place for the 1st rise.


Here it is after rising for 1 1/2 hours.....


Next comes the shaping....



Now, into the oven and.......


So good!!!!!! I should've used smaller loaf pans, so the bread isn't as tall as I'd like, but it is soooo tasty. Now that I have a ripe starter, if I maintain it properly, I can make bread whenever I want. 


Well, Granny, this loaf is for you!





No comments:

Post a Comment