Etsy

Friday, March 11, 2016

More Summer & Winter

Before I show another project, I though I'd show you some finished work. Here are the other two runners that I made in my 1st attempt at summer & winter. Both used 5/2 cotton as warp & tabby weft and Kauni wool yarn as pattern weft. 

This runner was treadled 1-2-2-1 or 3-4-4-3 (with tabby). 


This runner was treadled 1-2-1-2, or 3-4-3-4 (with tabby). 

I did learn an essential thing about this weave, after of course, I had been weaving for about 30 inches. You must balance a summer and winter weaving draft with an additional thread on the left of the piece. In this case, I should have threaded one more thread on shaft one. Bearing that in mind, I planned a new warp for pillows in summer & winter. 

I wound a 6 1/2 yard warp of 3/2 cotton, 207 ends, including 2 for floating selvedges. So far, apart from the Kauni color changing yarn, which is actually a bit too thin to use as pattern weft with 3/2 cotton as warp & tabby, my favorite pattern weft is Cascade 220. The color spectrum is spectacular and the pattern fills in nicely when wet finished. 

I planned on eight pillow tops. Then I broke out the yarn stash. Another favorite yarn of mine is Tangier also by Cascade. I first wove two pillow tops in the 220 in different shades of blue. Then I realized that the Tangier skein I had happened to coordinate perfectly with either shade of blue. Yes!!!

Treadled 3-4-4-3 and 1-2-2-1


One of my favorite things about Sunner & Winter is that if you start with 2 colors, you end up with 3. As you can see from the plain weave off-white border, the colors range from off white to the main pattern color to a muted shade of the pattern color. 

Happy Weaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment